Indonesia - Day 4 - Mother's Neighborhood

Indonesia_2011-134

I was awaken by not only these creatures in this cage (yes, my mother owns a Rooster and a Hen on her garden which produce one egg each morning) but also the "Azhan", a muslim call to prayer. Azhan is such a soothing, hypnotic serenade that brings me peace at the same time chills to my spine; childhood memories starts rushing through my head. It was 4:30 am local time and I had about two hours of on and off sleep. The jet lag started to sink in. My body thinks it's daytime.

Listen to Azan on YouTube

Indonesia_2011-18

Once the sun is up, we decided to take a walk around my mother's neighborhood. Below are some of the pictures I took. It's absolutely breathtaking!
Click on any of the pictures to be taken to Flickr to view them larger.

Indonesia_2011-2

Indonesia_2011-53

Indonesia_2011-52

Indonesia_2011-51

Indonesia_2011-50

Indonesia_2011-46
Spotted this dude and duddettes? matting, by accident. Or is that parent an child?

Indonesia_2011-37
The rice paddies field.

Indonesia_2011-35
Banana Trees

Indonesia_2011-34

Indonesia_2011-32
I believe that's a Mosque, a place of worship for Muslims

Indonesia_2011-24

Indonesia_2011-20
Krupuk Seller

Indonesia_2011-21

Indonesia_2011-7
We decided to stop at this one house that sells all kinds of Indonesian snacks. Each costs about 2,000 rupiahs (less than a quarter US dollars) or much less. We literally bought half of what was displayed in the glass case. What shown here are, pastel (empanadas), Tahu (breaded tofu stuffed with vegetable), Lumpia, Lemper (sticky rice filled with meats wrapped in banana leaves and grilled on an open flame), Mungbeans encased in sesame seed, rice flour thing.

Indonesia_2011-13
Jeff, in red, is now addicted to this Roti (bread) topped with sweet chili sauce. Which he ate almost every morning while we are at my mom's.

Indonesia_2011-11
The kids expressed funny faces when saw the options behind the glass case and of course picked the safest, seen-it, looked-familiar, not-weird treat on the menu. Chocolate cake.